Monday, July 6, 2015

Experiments in Charcuterie - Part 1: Dreaming

My birthday is coming up. No I won't tell you exactly when, but we'll say it's soon.

My birthday is coming up, and money is a little tight right now. No, I won't tell you how tight, but suffice it to say it'll be a bit before we're back at Costco.

My birthday is coming up, and I want for my birthday dinner is prosciutto. And yes, it is delicious stuff. Too bad it's awfully pricey.

My birthday is coming up, and I just so happen to have excess duck breast in the freezer. And a 50 lb bag of food-grade sea salt I got for $15 at the feed store.


Photo courtesy of OneVanillaBean
And yes, my chef neighbor and I are going to try to make our own duck prosciutto. Never had duck prosciutto? You're seriously missing out. High protein, low carb, and as delicately delightful as any foie you've ever put in your mouth (almost).

So here it goes, based on the weight and thickness of the breasts, we're guestimating about 2 weeks from now to finished product. I'll post updates as we go. Tonight we're just defrosting in the freezer. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment