Monday, February 16, 2015

Welcome!


Hello BariBrothers, BariSisters, BariFamilies, and general lovers of healthy, good food. My name is Smye and I live on a small farm in the Pacific Northwest.
During both pre and post op appointments with my nutritionist*, I was horrified by the suggested things I could eat once I was back to 'regular foods.' The suggestions I was given were flavorless, full of preservatives & junk, and/or otherwise reminiscent of the american 'instafoods' that are, in my opinion, a huge part of the original problems. That said, I wanted to share some of the real, whole foods I've been enjoying lately without hurting my body or deviating from the dietary guidelines provided to me by my NUT. I'm down 175 lb since I started this journey on Jan 22, 2015, and loving every meal as much as, or more than, pre-op. I've learned a lot so far, and  surely I have a lot more I'll learn in the coming months and years, but I wasn't to share what I've learned so far with you.
Who needs 60" pants when you can wear a 40"?

I've spent the last 7 years accommodating good food to meet my partner's corn, dairy, and gluten allergies without losing any of the flavor or texture with 80% of all ingredients sourced from my own small farm, so it wasn't too big of a jump to make these recipes low carb, high protein and delicious.

Some of my favorite recipes posted here include:
Bibim Cauliflower
Pho
Pastrami Sandwich
Madras curry with fried tofu

Chicken tenders with sauce
Sushi - Philadelphia rolls in particular

Personal Pizzas
Smoked cherry-glazed chicken

Barbeque-smoked chicken
Ham and cheese omlette

Pickled duck eggs
Quiche

Ham, egg & cheese sandwiches
Bari-bread

Guacamole Cheeseburgers
And many more

There's no need for food to be tasteless, uninteresting, or questionable in it's contents. If there's something you'd like to see that's not here, please PM me and I'll do my best - I also make sure to try everything myself and feed it to my executive chef neighbor before I post it to ensure it's excellent! If it doesn't taste good, I'm not going to waste pouch-space on it, and you shouldn't either!

So dust off your kitchen, make a quick trip to the grocery store and say goodbye ever having to take another bite of mediocrity. It's time for real food, real weight loss, real delicious!

*A quick note - my nutritionist has been an excellent support through this process and is, in fact, phenomenal. I suspect the suggestions I was given were based on what is quick, easy and, en masse, more likely to be consumed by the largest number of patients without falling off the wagon. If you've been given suggested menus that turn your stomach, ask about deviating towards whole foods and I bet you'll be surprised with how supportive your nutritionist will be.

** A second note - have a food you like that's 'junk?' Eat it anyway - it's about your trends, not pure abstinence - just keep it small and infrequent. But that's a larger discussion for a later post.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting the blog up and running! It looks great so far and I know it will be of so much help to so many people. I guess I didn't realize you were in the Pacific NW. I'm from SW Washington but living in Utah. Can't wait to see the blog change and grow as the weeks progress. It's so nice you've taken the time to take photos along with the recipes. Thanks again, Sunshine Gal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaaaay!! I'm so happy you've got the blog up and running. Congratulations! -Tanika81

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smye, this is awesome!! I am so very happy you are willing to share your amazing recipes with the masses. This mass greatly appreciates it! Being just 4 weeks post op I find myself spending my days looking "forward." It is great to have such an amazing collection of delicacies to look forward to. :) -cooladdict

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the support! It feels surreal to have other people eating my food and I love knowing that all my experimentation and trial & error pays off for more than just me.

    ReplyDelete