Sunday, June 28, 2015

Turkey Meatballs

Prep Time: 5 Minutes                        Cook Time: 10 Minutes                              Add to MyFitnessPal

Do you ever crave a big, heaping bowl of spaghetti and meatballs? If you're like me and have had weightloss surgery, there's nothing I can do to help you with the heaping part, but spaghetti and meatballs, it turns out, are a synch!

Can't believe how easy these are
These meatballs only take about 15 minutes from ingredients-in-the-fridge to meat-on-your-plate and the taste is incredible! And you don't even have to worry about breadcrumbs. Looking for the full spaghetti meal? Don't worry, that post is coming soon! These are also super versatile - I love them in curries, soups, sandwiches, pasta, and even tacos (weird, I know). 
Ingredients:
Almond flour - 1/4 cup (you can also use almond meal, or really any ground nut)
Ground turkey - 1 lb
Parmesan, grates - 1/4 cup (any hard cheese works here)
Carrot, grates - 1/2 cup
Onion, chopped, raw - 1/2 cup
Garlic, minced, raw - 2 cloves
Parsley, fresh, minced - 2 Tbsp
Thyme, fresh - 2 tsp
Egg - 1 large
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
Chipotle pepper in adobo, seeds removed - 1 (totally, 100% optional, but I LOVE it)

Preparation:
The meatballs my Gran used to make took well over an hour of preparation, let alone the cooking time. These, on the other hand, take only a few minutes to make and are incredible!

Preheat your broiler on high and move the rack to the center position.

Grate your carrots if you haven't already done so. The fastest way to grate them, along with your onion, garlic, and parsley is to pulse them together in a food processor. Don't liquefy, but get them all smaller than a grain of rise.

Now combine everything together in a mixing bowl, be sure to mix thoroughly.

Spoon onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet into twelve 2-2.5 inch balls.

Place under broiler for roughly 10 minutes or until well browned and cooked through. In the event you notice they're browning faster than you like, just lay a sheet of foil over them.
Don''t stress about overbrowning too much, these are great!
Serve however you like and enjoy. Once you've got them how you like them, play with the flavors. Add some liquid smoke and use as sliders. Add a tablespoon of curry powder for kofta. Heck, swap the turkey for goat meat (my favorite) and add a little mint to dip in cucumber yogurt sauce.

Nutrition:
Calories: 85
Fat: 5 g
Carbs: 2 g
Protein: 9 g
Sodium: 174 mg

2 comments:

  1. I just pulled a pan of these out of the oven and they smell awesome! I used grass fed ground beef instead of turkey, but that was the only change. I am going to saute zoodles (zucchini noodles), add marinara and the meatballs for a "no-carb" spaghetti dinner. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garden Girl Kl, that sounds excellent, I'm also a big fan of these with goat meat, but then, I do raise goats. I too use zuke for my noodles. How do you make yours? I used to take a long time with a knife but recently invested in a spiralizer that's been revolutionary - I'm curious to hear how other people are making them. Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to see here.

    ReplyDelete